Why am I serving the Lord?

Why am I serving the Lord?

Monday, March 23, 2015

The Gospel Is Too Comfort The Afflicted And To Afflict The Comfortable

Hello to those I love, another week has come and gone in the M.I.M!

We have had a wonderful week laboring for the Lord in Albany. All of our investigators are doing wonderfully and are progressing in the gospel. Yesterday at church we had 4 investigators and two families brought non-members, that is a miracle in and of itself. The Lords work is rolling forth. Are you apart of it?

I'd like to shed light on a few miracles/tender mercies this week. Bear with this long email.

Tender Mercy #1. We were going through the branch list and trying to look for a less active named Thersea.  We went to her address in Albany and they told us she had moved. We weren't sure where to go from there so we continued on with our day. That night we were in Stanberry (a few towns over) and it was 8:30 p.m., almost time to go home and it was dark. We were driving and saw a lady coming out of a Christian church walking towards home.  The spirit said "Stop." I sat and thought... and kept driving. The spirit said, "STOP the car Sister Flink." I pulled over and sat there. Sister Davis confused was looking at me like I was crazy and I said, "We're saying a prayer.  We need to go talk to that lady. I don't know why." "What, were going to chase her down the street in the dark?" "Yes, get out of the car." So I started walking with Sister Davis hesitantly walking behind me and  then I ran after this lady and introduced ourselves. She says, "I didn't know there was Sisters!" "So you've seen missionaries before then?" "Yes, I was baptized Mormon. My name is Theresa Harsh." My eyes went big, Sister Davis eyes went big, and we knew in that moment we were lead and guided directly to her at THAT moment, or else we may have never found her. Brothers and Sisters, this is the Lord's work. But we have to listen. I am so eternally grateful for the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

Tender Mercy #2. We are teaching a part member family, Keith Lurten is our investigator. He has been meeting with the missionaries for YEARS, but has never taken it seriously until recently. There has been a change in him for these past 4 months. We are really close with the Lurten family and yesterday someone asked us what appointments we had and we said we didn't have any for that night. Keith popped up and said, "They're coming to give me a lesson! Will you?" I looked at him and said, "Oh, this is too good Keith." and he just started laughing. Well, I myself have invited Keith to be baptized 3 times since I've been here and he wouldn't commit, so we went in praying for the spirit and expecting to have a good lesson. In the lesson the spirit told me to say, "Keith, why won't you commit to a date?" He went serious and just looked at me. I was expecting some sort of sarcastic comment or joke, but the spirit filled the quiet room. He said, "Well, I guess I do. I think I should.." I thought I was going to jump for joy but I kept my cool... He said, "I enjoyed watching the baptism today, and I just kept picturing myself getting baptized. I took that as an answer, lets do it Sisters. Lets set a day." and THEN, (Because I love them so much) I jumped up and did a little happy dance. Keith Lurten is getting baptized in two weeks! The miracles happen, the Lord softens the hearts, and the church is true.

Tender Mercy #3. Do you remember Kezia, the investigator who was ready to be baptized but was so persecuted from her family she told us we couldn't stop by anymore? Well, persistence pays off, because do you think we listened to her telling us not to come by? No way. We knocked on the door and left notes every 3 days. Well, she called us in the middle of the night and asked us to come by the next day! She is taking the lessons again and wants to be baptized on the 25th of April.

That makes 6 investigators with a baptismal date in the Albany area, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude to my father in heaven. The only words I can use to describe how I feel is from my personal study this morning,
 
 "And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what‍ the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

I love him so very much. I love this gospel, and I love this work. The work of saving souls!
"Spiritual light rarely comes to those who merely sit in darkness waiting for someone to flip a switch. It takes an act of faith to open our eyes to the light of Christ."
I miss you all. I love you all.  I am so happy out here!  The doctrine of Christ will change your life forever, if we only let it and listen.  Have a spectacular week.  We are spending Pday today with Sister Lurten in Bethany. We are gonna hang out at her neighbors cabin out in the country and make crafts!

Xoxo, Sister Flink

0 comments:

Post a Comment