Why am I serving the Lord?

Why am I serving the Lord?

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Meet Travis!

March 26, 2014

Family!
Hello from po-dunk town Cameron Missouri!  With one Walmart, dirt roads, lots of beer, cigarettes, crazy people, and absolutely nothing to do but spread the good word!  :)

How are all of you?  I love you all!  Things are going good here.  Sister Moody and I work well together.  We've taught lots of people and done lots of tracking.  Its hard because every house in this entire dang town has already been knocked.  People know who the Mormons are for the most part.  Its a great day is we have a least one person who doesn't talk to us with booze breath, smoke, or high as a kite!  We actually tracted into this really cook young guy but he was so high as wasted after 5 minutes of trying to talk with us he said, "I don't feel comfortable talkin' bout this wit y'all right now!"  Well, no duh!  Haha!  I really hate tracting, I'm not going to lie but we have had miralces and I muster up the courage every single day, put a smile on my face and go knock on some doors and ask them what they believe and about Christ's true church on the earth (if they haven't slammed the door in our face yet!) 

It has been super cold here an get this......we are low on car miles so we've been having to ride bikes!  Let me tell you, a few times I thought I was going to fall over and die.  It's nothin' but hiss here, my legs are jello - but ya know, press forward Saints!

I have see the small miracle of the gospel working in people lives.  Let me tell you a little bit about Travis!  I love Travis because he reminds me of someone I love and cherish very, very much!  So I love Travis and he is close to my heart!  Travis is a 25 year old guy who is happy as can be, has a bright smile, and likes to test our patience to see how we'll react.  Travis went to church when he was young (Baptist) and over the years developed his own beliefs, theories, and ideas of how a church should run.  He has a heart of gold, but when his ideas are stuck in his mind he has no desire to think that maybe he is wrong.  He has a hard time with the concept of faith, he believed in science, theory, and rules are a waste of time.  As we spend an hour in the freezing cold on Travis's porch, his eyes began to become interested and his change of attitude towards us being there and the sincere questions he was wanting to know about taught us that Heavenly Father has been preparing him to hear this message for a long time!  Many time the "light bulb" clicked and he would do a little side grin, smile and shake his head~ like whatever~ and then keep listening.  We had a breakthrough when he said, "Nobody truly know what's true because even with all these books nobody has all the answers."  And he is the type of guy who you need to be straight forward with or you won't get anything out of it. I said, "We do!"  He said, "What, the Book of Mormon that you talked about?'  I said, "Yup, what would it mean to you if God has given us everything we needed to know, all the answers and all the information to get back with him again?"  He responded and said, "Well I never thought I'd say this, but I guess that would mean everything!"  I handed him the Book of Mormon, read Moroni 10: 3-5 and asked him to pray with real intent after he read it and he will have the answers!  He gave me a little side grin and took a puff of his 3rd cig while we were there, grabbed it from me, and just looked at it.  We let the Holy Ghost work on him and after awhile we said it again, "Will you?"  He hesitated and grinned, shook his head, and said, "Okay, you two, I'll do it!"  I told him we'd be back!  He shook our hands and we were on our way!  Simple miracles guys.  This is one of many!  Things are good. 
 
I love my companion and Cameron Missouri is bring forth some good fruit.  I have lots of memorizing to get done and it sucks, but I have already passed off Lesson 1.  With every lesson in preach my gospel, we have to memorize every main bullet point, and the 5 or 6 sub bullets for each section, a Scripture reference to go with each one, a scripture memorized word for word, and also the commitments at the end.  So it is a lot you have to do and we have to do it in 12 weeks.  But I am making progress!

The first day of our Mission, President Keyes said, "Every Morning from here on out is like Christmas morning!"  I love you guys.  Hope to hear from you soon.  I especially love you this week Jare Bear!


Always~  Sister Flink




0 comments:

Post a Comment